Friday, September 23, 2011

Who I was

One year ago today marks the last day of who I was. That is because one year ago tomorrow, I became who I am now.

I am now a person who knows what is it like to lose a brother. I am now a person who knows what it means to grieve. I now understand the four stages of grief and know that some times you have to take steps back before you move forward.

I now know who the real Davey was; that is who he was around his friends. Of course, I saw the tenderness he had with Raegan but I only know now the true extent of what a great uncle he was. I knew I as his "littler" big sister but now I know how much he longed to protect me.

I now understand the meaning of life is too short. And while it is too short to waste a moment, it is also to short to waste a moment on things not worthy of that moment.

I now know who I can count on to be there at anytime of the day or night. And I now know who I can't.

And while I am happy with who I am now, I long for the days of who I was....just an average sister who had a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment